The fashion industry is responsible for 10% of annual global carbon emissions, more than all international flights and maritime shipping combined. At this pace, the fashion industry’s greenhouse gas emissions will surge more than 50% by 2030. Luckily, we have more and more brands who prefer to produce in-house.
Manufacturing locally grows our economy and saves BIG time on our carbon footprint, eliminating overseas shipping transportation. It also gives designers a chance to work closely with everyone involved in the production process, making a higher-quality garment construction.
Check them out:
1.LNA Is one of a few brands that grew in size but maintained a small atelier vibe. They make everything locally from fabrics, design, sampling, and production. I personally love this Cali girl inspired brand; the quality is made to last and the styles are effortless.
2.Michael Stars This is a diverse company employing over 80% women. They use sustainable fabrics and manufacture most of the apparel in Los Angeles to ensure their quality. One t-shirt can last years, keeping it from landfill. Also, Michael Stars Foundation has given millions of dollars to grassroots organizations supporting gender & racial equality and ending gender-based violence.
3. Misa All of their pieces are handmade in Los Angeles by a team of fashion designers, pattern-makers, and sewers, most of whom have worked with them since the beginning.
4.9 Seed Not only the designs are hand-cut and hand-sewn in Los Angeles, but they also use eco-friendly fabrics such as Lyocell, cotton, and biodegradable rayon. 9seed also works with environmentally friendly dye houses that re-use and recycle water. Additionally, all trimmings are sourced from vintage or dead stock.
5. LA Made Are active members of the slow fashion community andsources over 95% of their fabrics from Los Angeles vendors located within ,10 miles from their offices. Their factory is situated in LA, which allows them to listen to their employee's feedback. They also give their employees benefits such as living wage, health care coverage, paid vacation time & paid sick leave.
6. Raquel Allegra Each one of their tie-dye pieces is individually hand tied and dyed. they proudly support the CanopyStyle campaign to protect ancient and endangered forests during our fabric choice selection
7. Karen Kane Karen kane, Manufactures in the U.S, is offering their full-time employees excellent health coverage. Also, they are a proud supporter of supporters of The Nature Conservancy, Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising, Children's Hospital Los Angeles, Shelter Partnership, Inner-City Arts Los Angeles, Cedars Sinai, LA County Public hospitals, City of Hope, The Rape Foundation, Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital Foundation, Girls For a Change, Aviva Family & Children's Services, the Los Angeles Mission, The Loveland Foundation, A Long Walk Home, and Cast: Coalition to Abolish Slavery & Trafficking.
8. Flynn Sky Flynn is Venice based brand that manufactures in Los Angeles. They use limited-run manufacturing to make unique pieces. Unlike mass-produced clothing, they only cut a handful of pieces of each style so you can be sure your dress will be one of a kind on any occasion.